Friday, December 02, 2005

Response to Tyler

I particularly appreciated your take on the "In the Zone" article. Paternalism vs. quietism. Very true. I think we can both agree that remaining quiet is not an option for Jesus followers. But the danger of paternalism is very real in those who want to become active.

Personally, I believe that the danger of paternalism will be rendered irrelevant when we finally meet the people. Paternalism I believe is far more prevalent when we are helping from afar, from the comforts of our own home, where we can do something noble. When we come face to face with those afflicted, however, I think something happens where natural bonds and relationships can finally occur, and true love can be expressed. It is far more difficult to remain up above it all when we are at the same level. And that's where I find that some of the Western resources we've found are particularly great. Many of them do have representatives who work actively with the very people they are helping. I don't find that to be paternalistic but rather a friend helping another friend in need.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home