Monday, November 07, 2005

Response to Tyler's Chapters 1-2 Comments

You are right to point to and highlight the existing and potential roles of the INGOs in the fight against HIV/AIDS. I suppose my rather pessimistic conclusion to the readings from Global Transformations comes from a limited perspective in hoping that national governments would step up. To be very honest, I didn't really see the worth of the INGOs, and that is where I most visibly come up short. In my hopes of seeing national budgets change to alleviate the plight of those affected either directly or indirectly by HIV/AIDS, I have overly narrowed my scope of view.

I think that you are right in saying that hope for churches to be involved is through the INGOs. Connecting it to what we were talking about the week previous, NGOs and INGOs can be a very concrete way to connect churches with people not of the faith to work together to combat HIV/AIDS, and thus, present the Gospel at the same time. Though church based organizations may deter non-Christians from being involved, INGOs such as Amnesty International can be a safe "middle ground" where the two parties can meet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home