Saturday, October 29, 2005

Response to Hideyo's Week 5 Material

Wow. Great job this week. I am very impressed with the work you've done. I thought the insight about what churches are addressing AIDS was significant. Perhaps we should think about trying to create networks in which churches can share stories of how they address HIV/AIDS as well as partner together in the battle.

I am also very impressed with the Bible materials. How do we come with these materials in such a way that we cannot be accused of proof-texting (which I don't think you can be) or judgmental? There is grace in harsh prophecy, but I think there will be a large reactionary response from many groups. Perhaps such responses are based out of shame/guilt, but how can we bring the gospel message that God allows us to repent and participate in his kingdom, even if we haven't been actively engaging the kingdom? How do we give the subject the needed weight without turning people away? I know I've been asking this question all quarter, as it is still something I'm thinking about. I noticed in myself that last week I felt the heaviness of this subject and was close to throwing up my hands and saying it's too much, but this week, I feel more hopeful. I think that is a natural boundary most people will have to work through.

Anyway, seriously, great work this week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home